Sunday, January 18, 2009

Benny's Back!

Woah, move over, Inert Slug Baby of Yore (ISBY)! There is a new monkey in town, and he can do all the tricks you could not. Let me list them:
* He can flip from back to front and front to back, at will, clothed or unclothed, happy, sad, sucking, drooling, laying on the carpet, squirming in bed, or dangling precariously on the couch in the Infantino straightjacket.
* He can heave the long, world-weary sighs of a career burocrat at the end of an especially dull work week.
* He can sleep an hour in the afternoon, alone and with no special inducements.
* He can grab the green widget in his tropical jumperoo and shake it, really give it hell, as if it were Phillip Marlowe and he was Mugs the Tough, Bumbling Expendable Goon, but so much cuter, and executing leaps and pounces all the while, lips stuck forward in a beak, eyes hard and narrow, the ponderous bulk of his cheeks rising and falling like the Tecoma Narrows Bridge in November, 1940.
* He can flap his arms like a chicken with Turret's syndrome.
* He can wake up at midnight and stare at his madly blogging father with cool eyes, pressed lips, and no panic.
* Woah, cancel that "no panic" part--more anon.

1 comment:

Kate's Occasional Blog said...

Carlito, I have to say, yours is the cutest baby I think I have ever seen. I say this without bias -- really! I've saved the latest picture as my computer wallpaper, and every time I turn on the machine I feel the chest-puffing, eye-watering sensation of the Proud Aunt. Can't wait to meet him!